Top Issues – Minnesota Divorce and Spousal Maintenance

Spousal Maintenance (Alimony) in Minnesota

Spousal Maintenance (also referred to as “Alimony”) is an area that is frequently misunderstood, and is often litigated.  Equalizing “cash flow” or available income is not required by Minnesota Statue 518.552, as an award of Spousal Maintenance is based on need.   Spousal Maintenance, unlike Child Support, does not provide the parties with a basic formula – or calculator – to determine if (and for what duration of time) money should be paid to one spouse after a Divorce.  Under current Minnesota law, the Courts must use existing statutes and precedent to determine whether an award of Spousal Maintenance is appropriate under the given facts of the case.     

When hiring a Divorce Lawyer,  you should inquire about their financial acumen and training.  You may choose to speak with a lawyer who has an advanced degree (such as an MBA) or who is licensed in U.S. Tax Court in order to provide you with the best opportunity to properly address all of the financial issues associated with Spousal Maintenance.  

Use of a CPA or Actuary during a Divorce

In many Divorce cases, the parties may also work with a Neutral CPA, Actuary, Real Estate Appraiser or Business Valuation Expert to provide precise valuations for various Assets and Property, including Retirement Accounts, IRAs, Brokerage Accounts, Pensions, Real Estate, Businesses and Personal Property (such as Antiques).

We Practice Exclusively in Family Law

Located in the historic Linden Hills neighborhood of Minneapolis, Lake Harriet Law Office provides experienced and assertive legal representation exclusively in the area of Divorce and Family Law.  Attorneys Randall A. Smith and Amber C. Bretl are highly effective in representing clients in Spousal Maintenance cases.

Lake Harriet Law Office represents clients in Minneapolis, Edina, Bloomington, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Eden Prairie, Southwest Minneapolis, Linden Hills, Plymouth, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, St. Paul, Anoka County, Wright County, Carver County and Scott County.

For a consultation, please call 612-750-4843 or 612-223-8925

Randall A. Smith

Amber C. Bretl

Published On: December 23, 2014Categories: Family Law Updates

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Want To Learn More?
Call Us Today!

We represent clients throughout the Minneapolis area in Divorce, Financial Issues, Child Custody, Child Support, Parenting Time, Property and Asset Division, Spousal Maintenance and more!