Top Spousal Maintenance (Alimony) Issues In Minnesota Family Court

Throughout Minnesota, Spousal Maintenance (sometimes referred to as “Alimony”) is an advanced financial topic associated with Divorce.  Unlike Child Support, Spousal Maintenance does not provide the parties with a formula to determine if – and for what duration – money should be paid to a spouse after a Divorce.  It’s extremely important to work with an experienced Family Law attorney to properly address the financial aspects of Spousal Maintenance, including Budgets, Marital Standard of Living, Division of Assets, Cash Flow, and the ability to provide support through maintenance.  Family Courts must use existing statutes and case law to determine whether an award of Spousal Maintenance (Alimony) is appropriate under the individual facts and circumstances of the case.

Use of a CPA or Real Estate Appraiser During a Divorce

When contemplating Divorce, you should consult with an experienced lawyer who has outstanding financial acumen in order to provide you with the best opportunity to properly address all of the financial issues associated with your case.  In many Divorce and Family Law cases, it may also be necessary to secure the expertise of a Neutral CPA, Actuary, Real Estate Appraiser, ASA or Business Valuation Expert to provide appropriate valuations for various Assets including Property, Retirement Accounts, Brokerage Accounts, Pensions, Real Estate Holdings, Businesses, Antiques, Collectibles, and to also address any potential Non-Marital Property or Asset claims that may require Non-Marital Tracing.

Valuation of Assets Including Pensions and Retirement Accounts

Located in the historic Linden Hills neighborhood of Minneapolis, Lake Harriet Law Office provides experienced and assertive legal representation exclusively in the area of Divorce and Family Law; our Firm doe not represent clients in Non-Family Law matters.

Lake Harriet Law Office represents clients in Minneapolis, Edina, Bloomington, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Eden Prairie, Southwest Minneapolis, Linden Hills, Kenwood, Plymouth, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, St. Paul, Anoka County, Wright County, Carver County, Ramsey County and Scott County.

Please call 612-750-4843 or complete the Contact Us form to schedule an office consultation.  We look forward to meeting you to discuss your legal issues.

Published On: May 16, 2014Categories: Family Law Updates

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Want To Learn More?
Call Us Today!

We represent clients throughout the Minneapolis area in Divorce, Financial Issues, Child Custody, Child Support, Parenting Time, Property and Asset Division, Spousal Maintenance and more!